What You Need to Know About Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a dangerous gas produced when any fuel burns. It has no taste or smell, which is why odors are often added to fuels – such as propane – to help detect leaks. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked. High levels of CO can also be fatal – making you feel sick or dizzy, and possibly leading to brain damage or death.
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
It’s crucial to you and your family’s safety that you can easily recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning – here are a few of those symptoms to watch out for:
- Shortness of breath
Suspect the Presence of CO? Act Immediately!
- If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
- If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow fresh air to enter and turn off any appliances that could possibly be releasing CO.
- If no one shows symptoms, but you suspect that CO is still present, call Glider Oil and we’ll send a qualified service technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.
How to Reduce the Risk of CO Poisoning
There are steps homeowners can take to help defend their home against CO poisoning:
- Have Glider Oil check your propane system annually – including appliances and ventilation
- Install UL-listed CO detectors on every level of your home
- Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating
- Never use portable heaters indoors
- Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating
- Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage
At Glider Oil, we just want our customers to stay safe! Please keep this article handy so that you can use it to inform your family or guests in your home of what to look for and what to do in case of CO poisoning. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Glider oil.