Let's Talk About Propane Safety!
In addition to being one of the cleanest energy sources on the market, propane also has a remarkable safety record. That can be attributed to the advances in tank and equipment technologies and the stringent safety laws that have been put in place to reduce the chance of a leak or safety issue.
While these two factors combine to make propane an extremely safe source of energy, you and your family should know and understand the proper precautions to take in the event of a gas leak. If you come across a rotten egg-like smell in your home or around a propane appliance, it could be a propane leak.
Customer safety is Glider Oil's #1 priority. If you smell gas, follow these steps!
- No Flames: Immediately put out all open flames and smoking material. Do not operate lights or appliances.
- Leave Right Away: Safely exit everyone from your house or the area where you suspect the gas leak.
- Turn Off the Gas: Shut off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, spin it to the right (clockwise).
- Report the Leak: Call 911 or your fire department and let them know you suspect a propane leak and why. Then call Glider Oil so we can send a technician over.
- Don't Return to the Area: Stay away from the building or area until Glider Oil, an emergency responder, or another qualified service technician determines it is safe to return.
- Have Your System Checked: Before you return to using your propane appliances, let us inspect your system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Glider Oil wants you to enjoy all the amazing benefits that using propane offers. Please keep these precautions in mind and explain to the rest of your family what to do if a gas leak is ever suspected.
If you have any questions about propane safety call Glider Oil at 800-724-3865.