Glider Oil is Here to Help
It’s not always easy to cover the costs of heating repairs and fuel deliveries, which is especially dangerous during the winter months when low-income families struggle to pay off their heating or repair bills. The good news is that there is a way to get help! The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, is a program that provides assistance to those who need help staying warm in the bitter New York cold.
Energy and fuel companies nationwide, including Glider Oil, participate in this program in order to assist those in need with discounted prices, free emergency service, and late fee forgiveness. Here’s a look at some of the good LIHEAP has done:
- LIHEAP provided 1,376,198 households with financial heating assistance, and 1,370 households with cooling assistance in 2014
- The average New York household heating assistance benefit was $338 in 2013
- Of the households provided with assistance, 42% were disabled homeowners, 35% elderly, and 24% housed children under 5 years old
- Of the households provided with assistance, 77% had an annual income below the poverty line.
The LIHEAP program offers multiple options, which begin at different times:
- Regular HEAP Benefits opened on November 13, 2018. Eligibility and benefits are based on income, household size, primary heating source, and presence of a household member who is under age 6; age 60 or older; or permanently disabled.
- Emergency HEAP Benefits opened on January 2, 2019. Eligibility and benefits are based on income, available resources, and the type of emergency.
- Heating Equipment Repair or Replacement Benefit opened on November 5, 2018. Eligibility is based on the actual cost incurred to repair or replace a furnace, boiler, and/or other essential heating equipment, $3,000 for a repair and $6,500 for a replacement.
Glider Oil is proud to participate in LIHEAP, which has been a huge help for our fellow New Yorkers. If you’d like to learn how we can help keep homeowners in New York warm, contact us online. For more information regarding LIHEAP, or to view eligibility qualifications for the program, click here.